HOME PROMOTIONS FORUM RESOURCES
RULES ABOUT

Go Back   Sports Forum Picks > NCAA BASKETBALL

Old 03-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Lefty
Full Fledged Degenerate

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Default Ohio State v Tennessee

Glad to see alot you are on Ohio State tonight! Makes me feel good about things!

As usual... pumped up for my Buckeyes! And of COURSE my opinion is biased. But I wanted to supply some info anyway... I'll try to limit it to FACTS.

Most of the support for Tennessee I am hearing boils down to the fact that the Vols came within 2 points of winning in Columbus... while at the same time shot poorly - namely Lofton was 3-11 from the 3 point line. AND the Buckeyes dominated the boards and free throws but still almost lost.

Good points... but I was at that game... and the truth is that Ohio State played like crap that day. Look a little further into the stats - and you'll see what I mean.

1. Lofton was 3-11 in 3 pointers... 27%. His season average is 42%. BUT... Lofton was ALSO 7-9 from INSIDE the 3 point line - 78%. So, he was 10-20 in all... which is 2% higher than his average. Overall, Lofton had a pretty good day with 23 points... a couple over his average.

The thing that happened in this game was that Lofton was slashing through the middle all game long because Ohio State was still stubbornly playing Man-2-Man defense (Matta hates the zone) and Oden was being pulled out of position by the Vols' big men who like to shoot from outside as well. Butler was smothering Lofton behind the arch... so he took advantage and slashed to the middle.

Tonight - the Buckeyes will play ZONE most of the game. They have learned that this is necessary to protect Oden. And Ohio State's zone defense should actually be a real problem for Tennessee, because the perimeter defense will be agressive and when they try to slash to the middle, Oden will just be sitting in position waiting to block the shots of the smaller guys.

2. Ohio State had TWENTY turnovers in that game. They average a little more than TEN. Turnovers are huge and many times result in 4 point swings. You cut 5 turnovers out of the game stats... big change. If they play close to their average of 10... we're talking about a completely different result. Much of the reason for the turnovers was that the Tennessee press gave them fits. Quite frankly, they weren't prepared for it. So much so that they had to pull Oden up to help break the press (throwing it over the top to the foul line area). Ohio State will be ready for the press this time. It still may cause some problems, but TWENTY turnovers are just not going to happen.

3. Just as the Vols did... the Buckeyes shot the ball like CRAP the first game too. Most people quote the 39% for Tenn and 43%. BUT... Oden was 9-13 from the field - mostly dunks. If you take out his numbers... the rest of the team shot 35% from the field - 28% from the 3 point line. I remember during the game... their shots were simply not timely... they didn't have any momentum the whole game. Sure... credit HAS to go to Tennesse for those problems, but as I remember it - the Buckeyes had alot of good looks and simply couldn't get them to go down.

4. I look for the Vols to shoot better from the arch. Because the ZONE may allow them more room to shoot the long ball. But don't expect them to slash to the middle this time for the same reason. Still, if Tennessee get as hot as they CAN... the Buckeyes could be in for a real fight.

But at the same time, if the Buckeyes (the players other than Oden) are hitting their shots... same problem for Tennessee, but then they'll have the ADDED problem that Oden will then have a field day underneath. If they have to come out and really guard the permiter... I don't see anyone for the Vols that can contain Oden alone. He dominated the last game even when the Buckeye shooters were cold on the outside.

5. People think this game is automatically going to be a track meet because of the Vols' preferred style of play. But don't forget that this Buckeye team has learned to play defense by going through a season of ugly Big Ten games...

6. Let's face it... winning and losing is SO OFTEN determined by MAKING SHOTS. If a team is cold... nothing looks right. If a team is hot... everything else works. This game is being played in the HUGE Alamo Dome which is going to be a different feeling - a different visual for the shooters. In both of tonight's games... there COULD be a blowout one way or the other just based on one team having trouble shooting in that big dome... and the other being hot. If that kind of disparity doesn't exist in the outside shooting. If both teams shoot the ball the same... I say the Buckeyes win comfortably.

Unless Tennessee is on fire from the outside (which IS possible)...

I love the Buckeyes tonight (big shock huh?)!
I love the UNDER tonight!

(dhaklgh) (dhaklgh)
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Spooky
Banned
The Boss

Spooky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ohio State v Tennessee

SORRY I AM ON THE FLORIDA GATORS PLUS 7

OOPS! THAT WAS THE FOOTBALL GAME. LOL

I AM PULLING FOR YA THIS TIME LEFTY!

GOOD LUCK!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Fast Bucks Freddy
Full Fledged Degenerate

Fast Bucks Freddy is on a distinguished road
thumb Re: Ohio State v Tennessee

LEFTY,

I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YA,BUCKEYES-4/UN45,LET'S BRING IT HOME!
NOTHING LIKE HAVING YOUR HOME TEAM FIGHTING FOR A NATIONAL
CHAMPIONSHIP.(dhaklgh)

LET'S GO BUCKEYES!!!!!(ahtlahjtj)
Old 03-23-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
Fast Bucks Freddy
Full Fledged Degenerate

Fast Bucks Freddy is on a distinguished road
Re: Ohio State v Tennessee

CONGRATS LEFTY!!!!!!!

YOUR BUCKEYES MOVE ON TO "GREAT 8"!

WHAT AN AMAZING COMEBACK FROM 20PTS.DOWN,THEY SAVED MY AZZ
IN MY NCAA POOLS,I'VE GOT'EM WINNING NATIONAL TITLE GAME!(dlskajflghlgjh)
NOW,I CAN SLEEP TONITE.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
KTBKRUSHER
Banned
Mac Daddy Pimp

KTBKRUSHER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ohio State v Tennessee

VERY OBVIOUS NCAA AND OFFICIALS AND COMMENTATORS WANTED OSU TO WIN..
TENN BLEW GAME...BUT THEY HAD TONS OF HELP.
KTBKRUSHER is offline   Reply With Quote