Go Back   Sports Forum Picks > THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL ROOM

Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
jimmythegreek
The Boss

jimmythegreek is on a distinguished road
Default NEW COLLEGE FOOTBALL KICKOFF RULE

NCAA Approves Rule Aimed at Decreasing Kickoff Returns

AP April 13, 2018

A drastic change is coming to college football in 2018 as player safety continues to be a top priority.
According to Greg Johnson of NCAA.com, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel has approved a new rule that will allow players to call for a fair catch anywhere inside the 25-yard line on kickoffs and have it result in a touchback, with the football being placed at the 25-yard line.
Previously, touchbacks only occurred when the kickoff was fielded in the end zone.
This new rule will help prevent teams from trying to pin opponents deep in their own territory by skying the kickoff and not giving them much of a chance at a return. In the past, any fair catch in the field of play would result in the ball being placed at the spot where it was fielded.

Increasing the ability to call for fair catches is the latest of several rule changes in recent years. Back in 2012, the NCAA moved kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35 and made it so the football would be placed at the 25-yard line, rather than at the 20, on touchbacks.
As much as a game can be changed on special teams, kickoffs are viewed as the most violent play in football. Eleven players from both sides start from opposite sides of the field and go head-to-head, frequently resulting in collisions.
The most notable injury on a kickoff happened to former Rutgers Scarlet Knight Eric LeGrand, who was paralyzed in a freak accident in 2010.
Rules have been tweaked in recent years to try to encourage touchbacks. And it's not just college football that's affected—the NFL has eliminated kickoffs from the Pro Bowl.
The new fair catch rule is the most drastic change that will go into effect next season, but it's not the only one. Offensive players will not be allowed to block below the waist more than five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, nobody other than interior linemen will be allowed to block below the waist unless it's from the front and a 10-second runoff will occur when instant replay overturns a call on the field inside of the final minute of a half on a play in which the clock would not have been stopped.
jimmythegreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
inspector
The Boss

inspector will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NEW COLLEGE FOOTBALL KICKOFF RULE

While we're at it, let's serve tea and crumpets after each 1st down!! WTF??

This is crazy.....takes a lot of strategy out of the game and obviously helps run up the score!!

If we're so worried about injury why not simply beef up the pads...seems simple to me but i'm just a dumb country redneck, what do i know?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg old-hermit-photo-blogspot-com.jpg (25.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
Patrick6
Full Fledged Degenerate

Patrick6 is on a distinguished road

what inspector said! 👍
Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
the factsman
Super Moderator
The Boss

the factsman is on a distinguished road

U WONT BE SAYING THAT IF THE MOTHER FUCKER RAN IT BACK 98 YARDS

TO FUCK UP YOUR UNDER BET

I BELIEVE IN SAFE FOOTBALL

I BELIEVE IN THE TOOTH FAIRY
I BELIEVE IN THE EASTER BUNNY
I BELIEVE I HAVE A HUGE PENIS

NUFF SAID

Click here now to sign up at Bookmaker.

Use Bonus code: FACTSMAN

US CITIZENS PLEASE NOTE: The information contained at this site is for news and entertainment purposes only. Any use of this information in violation of any federal, state or local law is prohibited.
the factsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
RealMoney
Mac Daddy Pimp

RealMoney is on a distinguished road

If they want to make it safer, just put the ball on the 25 yard line after each score and eliminate ALL kickoffs.

Geez, what a stupid rule.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt either, but this significantly changes the game. Why not eliminate punts as well?

Baseballs are hurled at batters at 90+ mph. To eliminate batters being injured, just put the ball on a tee for MLB to hit?

Sometimes we overreact for the sake of safety.
RealMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
marine66
Full Fledged Degenerate

marine66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the factsman View Post
U WONT BE SAYING THAT IF THE MOTHER FUCKER RAN IT BACK 98 YARDS

TO FUCK UP YOUR UNDER BET

I BELIEVE IN SAFE FOOTBALL

I BELIEVE IN THE TOOTH FAIRY
I BELIEVE IN THE EASTER BUNNY
I BELIEVE I HAVE A HUGE PENIS

NUFF SAID
Amazing....your the best Facts.......another winning day.....2-"1"

SEMPER FI !
marine66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
SsgKen
Certified Pimp

SsgKen is on a distinguished road

Teams from schools that have a high number of doctors like the Vanderbilt Commodores commonly have great punters. A great punter that can put the ball out of bounds inside the 5 can cause the total to trend lower because of all the plays that are runs to safely get a boring ten yards that eat a lot of clock.

I hope that never changes.

This is my football trend following idea and should not have my MLB sig.

Last edited by SsgKen; 08-05-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: This is my football trend following idea and should not have my MLB sig.
SsgKen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
celticchamps
Full Fledged Degenerate

celticchamps is on a distinguished road

A quarterback can’t throw a pass unless he’s at least 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. The offense begins some plays just a yard from the sideline and is penalized for throwing more than one pass during a series of downs. Player substitutions are prohibited. No communication from the sideline is allowed. Players from both teams grab their opponents’ facemasks at will (there used to not even be face masks).

Roughing the passer penalties... nope. Ending a defenseless receivers career and fucking up his life because you felt the need to drive his head/neck into the turf... celebrated.

Evolve or die. We would scoff at the way the game was played 50 years ago, ground and pound Neanderthal football.

Are kickoffs really what make the game exciting? You going to stop watching because of it? Making the game safer will help the game grow moving forward. If essentially eliminating full speed collisions on kickoffs prevents even a handful of people from getting seriously injured/concussed, I’m sorry but count me as a supporter.
celticchamps is offline   Reply With Quote